It's Official; Summertime is upon us!
It's that time of the year again; Time to break out and dust off the ole' ice cream maker! We’re kicking off the official start of summer with this special sweet treat just for you! This Blueberries and Cream Gelato Recipe is a surefire way to cool you off during these hot summer scorchers ahead of us! We’ve combined two recipes to give you this refreshing Blueberry Gelato recipe, that’s bursting with flavor and will leave your taste buds begging for more!
Our thanks to Chef Thomas Minchella for providing us with this delicious recipe!
3 cups granulated sugar
3 cups water
In a medium saucepan bring water to a simmer and then add the sugar. Stir until
dissolved. Remove from heat and cool.
2 cups simple syrup
2 cups blueberries
Pick through the blueberries and then rinse under cold water. Puree the blueberries in a blender and then strain through a fine sieve. Stir together the simple syrup and
blueberry puree. Place the mix into an ice cream freezer and freeze according to manufacturer's instructions, then store in the freezer.
Vanilla bean gelato:
2 cups whole milk
1 cup heavy cream
1 vanilla bean
3 egg yolks
1 whole egg
¾ cups sugar
- In a saucepan over medium heat add the milk and cream. Split the vanilla bean in half lengthwise. Scrape the seeds out and add the seeds and the split bean to the milk mixture.
- In a medium bowl and the whole egg, egg yolk and slowly and slowly whip in the sugar.
- Remove the hot milk mixture and whip into the egg mixture a little at a time until all is added.
- Place the mixture back into the saucepan and bring to a simmer without boiling.
- Strain the custard through a fine sieve into a bowl and let cool in the refrigerator.
- Place the cold mixture in the ice cream freezer and freeze according to the manufacturer’s directions.
- Layer the sorbet and vanilla bean gelato in a container and freeze overnight.